Now let’s talk about different places you can sell your books. I want to preface this with the fact that I teach my clients to use their book as a marketing tool. The book is not the end product that they’re selling. They are UPSELLING and using their book as a door-opener to new prospect and clients.
If you’re looking for purely book sales … we can go there for a little while because I was asked to include it in this article.
1. On your website – you can have a website dedicated to your book, or a page on your business website that has your book on it
2. In your shop –with your other info products
3. Subscribe and pay for book promotion services. You can even look on fiverr. Please do your due diligence on any of these services.
4. Book signing tour
5. Amazon promotional opportunities:
Createspace (owned by Amazon) – you can select to have your book available at Barnes and Noble, along with other online retailers
Amazon Marketing Services (AMS) – you can create your own ads to appear in Amazon.
Amazon KDP Select – you can use this service to promote your book 5 days out of every 3 months. Please read the rules for this program because if you use it, you’re obligated to be in it for 3 months and you may not sell your book anywhere else for less than what you have it listed for on Amazon.
6. Social Media – create a Facebook Fanpage specifically for your book
7. Facebook Groups dedicated to kindle readers – Just search “kindle” and you’ll find a plethora of groups that promote books. Read the rules for each group to see how often, what price, when and what genre you can promote.
8. Local mom and pop book shops
9. Get creative – Find other ways to get the word out. Look what other authors are doing ….YouTube, contests, referrals, etc.
The main thing about selling your books is to be proactive rather than sitting around waiting for something to happen. This is a sure fire way to have nothing happen at all.
Again, I want to go back to my philosophy for business books – my clients are generally entrepreneurs and coaches who want a book to help those who are struggling like they once were. They are looking to create impact and change in the world, get their message out to a larger audience, and they have coaching products and packages that they promote from the 100’s of dollars to the 10’s of thousands of dollars that their readers will advance to purchasing.
Mathematically speaking, book royalties and direct sales is a hard gig for you to make even $10k or more per month.
Most entrepreneurs who are successful with making money from their book, make it on the backend. They’re happy to give their book away for free or offer it at a low cost to get that new lead in so that they can nurture and then upsell them into a bigger package that would better serve that client.
To an entrepreneur, the book is not the end product. The book is the hook product. It’s a lead magnet.
So with that said, the best way to sell your book so you can sell your other bigger packages, is to use a BOOK FUNNEL! Use it as opt in lead magnet. Then nurture that reader like I just said and turn him or her into a higher paying client.
THAT is the best way to be profitable with your book.